Position Title: Research Officer
Team: Research, Design and Analysis
Position Type: Consultancy contract, part-time (3-4 days/week)
Duration: 4 months
Salary range: $70-90/day depending on experience
Application deadline: Sunday, 31st March 2019, 5pm EAT
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Languages English, Luo (native), Swahili
AVF is a fast-growing start-up, capitalizing on interactive media and digital communications to curate and spark engaging discussions that convene citizens’ voices as evidence and elevate them to the level of decision-making. We equip development, humanitarian and governance organisations with unique capabilities to listen intelligently to the citizens they serve. Spun out of cutting-edge research at the University of Cambridge in 2015, we have an established presence in East Africa and beyond with a vibrant growing core team in Nairobi. Our clients include UNICEF, the European Union, Oxfam, and the MasterCard Foundation.
- Support overall research design.
- Conduct qualitative data collection via document collection, focus group discussions and key informant interviews.
- Coding, tagging and analysing local-language SMS data.
- Translation and qualitative analysis of local-language data from field research.
- Assist with other tasks as and when necessary, including survey and questionnaire design and translation.
On not more than two (2) A4 typed pages, please provide a summarized write up describing your relevant experiences supporting the essential and desirable criteria below.
- Completed Masters degree in a relevant social sciences discipline (such as sociology, political science, international development, public health, social psychology)
- At least two years professional experience in social science research, preferably in the development sector.
- Experience designing and conducting qualitative field research, especially focus group discussions and semi-structured interviews, including questionnaire design
- Experience in qualitative analysis such as content analysis, thematic analysis and grounded theory
- Excellent Luo language skills, ideally with previous professional experience in translating data collection tools
- Proven ability to perform tasks for tight deadlines and under pressure
- Fluency in written and spoken Luo, English and Swahili.
- Knowledge and experience of quantitative research methods
- Knowledge and experience of using quantitative tools such as R, STATA and SPSS
- Knowledge and experience of using visualization software (eg. Tableau, Shiny)
Please send your CV and Cover Letter explaining why you are interested in AVF and this position, and how you fulfil the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Research Officer” in the title of your email.
The application deadline is midnight (EAT) on Sunday, 31st March 2019, 5pm EAT. Applications may be considered after this date only if a suitable candidate has not been found.
AVF is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and will be considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of colour, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.